1. In-Zone EnrolmentsAll students who live within the home zone described below, shall be entitled to enrol at the school –
From the intersection of Edgeware Road and Barbadoes Streets north, along a line to the west of Barbadoes Street as far as Warrington Street, eastward to the north of Warrington Street / Shirley Road / New Brighton Road to Horseshoe Lake Road. Then to the east (inside) of Horseshoe Lake Road following the curve around to the south of Lake Terrace Road as far as the Avon River. Then south along the middle of the Avon River to Kerrs Reach. Then across the river and Avonside Drive in a line east of Kerrs Road to the junction with Buckleys Road. South along to the east of Buckleys Road to the intersection with Linwood Avenue. North up Linwood Avenue to Cashel Street. West along the south of Cashel Street to Barbadoes Street. North up a line west of Barbadoes Street to the intersection of Kilmore and Barbadoes Streets. West along a line south of Kilmore Street to the intersection of Kilmore Street and Colombo Street. North up a line in the middle of Colombo Street to Edgeware Road. East along a line north of Edgeware Road to the intersection of Edgeware Road and Barbadoes Street. Proof of residence within the zone will be required.
2. Out of Zone EnrolmentsEach year the Board will determine the number of places which are likely to be available in the following year for the enrolment of students who live outside the home zone. The Board will publish this information by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school. The notice will indicate how applications are to be made and will specify a date by which all applications must be received.
Applications for enrolment will be processed in the following order of priority:
|First Priority:||The Special Programmes category is not applicable at this school because the school does not run a special programme approved by the Secretary.|
|Second Priority:||must be given to applicants who are siblings of current students.|
|Third Priority:||must be given to applicants who are siblings of former students.|
|Fourth Priority:||must be given to any applicant who is a child of a former student of the school.|
|Fifth Priority:||must be given to any applicant who is either a child or an emlpoyee of the board of the school or a child of a member of the board of the school.|
|Sixth Priorty:||must be given to all other applicants.|
If there are more applicants in the second, third, fourth or fifth priority groups than there are places available, selection within the priority group will be by a ballot conducted in accordance with instructions issued by the Secretary under Section 11G(1) of the Education Act 1989. Parents will be informed of the date of any ballot by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school.
Applicants seeking second or third priority status may be required to give proof of a sibling relationship.
Separate ballots will be held for Years 9, 10, 11, 12, 13.
3. The Board will require proof of residency within the geographical zone. The consequence of supplying false information may be that the student's application for enrolment is declined.
4. The Board may require proof of a sibling relationship. The consequence of supplying false information may be that the student's application for enrolment is declined.
5. Parents and caregivers are required to inform the school immediately of any change of address before March of the year of entry into the school. If that change of address affects enrolment status, enrolment may be declined.
6. Applicants for places in Year 9 should apply before the end of July of the previous year. The specific date on which applications close will be advertised.
Important DatesTo apply for a place at Avonside Girls' High School simply fill in the application form included with the prospectus. No accompanying letters, school reports or testimonials are needed as they have no effect on the outcome.
|Applications Open All Levels:||Mon 8 June 2017|
|Applications for Year 9 close:||Friday 28 July 2017|
|Ballot Held Year 9 if necessary:||Wednesday 2 August|
|Notification of Offer of Place Year 9||to be sent out within three days of the ballot|
Last day of acceptance/decline of Year 9 places:
|Friday 18 August 2017|
All in-zone applicants will be accepted. The ballot for the remaining places and a position on the waiting list, will be held under police supervision. All applicants will be notified of their acceptance or their balloted position on the waiting-list. Avonside Girls' High School is happy for you to apply for as many schools as you wish but, we need your decision as to whether you have accepted a place in the school or confirmed your position on the waiting-list by the date indicated above.
Following the completion of the enrolment procedures, individual interviews and entrance testing will be held for successful applicants. The process of choosing option subjects and building for form classes will occur in Term Four.