Extra Curricular Opportunities
There are many opportunities at Avonside Girls’ High School for girls to become involved in the rich fabric of school life. Sporting and Arts & Cultural activities are listed on the following pages.
In addition we have many leadership opportunities for students at all levels. They include:
- Student Executive – Senior student leaders led by the Head Girl.meet regularly to discuss and plan events to contribute to the life of the school.
- School Council – Form class and year level representatives attend regular meetings to discuss issues which are important to students.
- Arts Council – A committee of senior students promoting arts activities in the school
- Health and Environment Council – Students who are passionate about our school environment and wider health and environmental issues.
- Social Council – This is a Year 13 committee which organises the school formal, and runs dance evenings for the junior students.
- Sports Council – A committee of committed athletes who organise and support numerous sporting and fun activities throughout the school year.
- House Leaders – Year 10, 12 and 13 House leaders help run the many inter-house competitions throughout the year.
Students at Avonside are encouraged to contribute to the school community. There are many opportunities for service around the school. They include:
- Librarians – Student librarians help out in the library during lunchtimes and organise book clubs, book week, and other fun activities based in the library.
- SADD – Students Against Driving Drunk.
- Zonta Club – A community support group which is part of the regional and national Zonta organisation committed to service in the community.
- Harvest Festival - Each student contributes to a chosen community charity
- World Vision 40 Hour Famine
- Otakaro Tree Planting
- Fundraising for Breast Cancer Research
- World Vision Child Sponsorship