There are many opportunities at Avonside Girls’ High School for girls to become involved in the rich fabric of school life. Sporting and Cultural activities are listed on the following pages.
In addition we have many leadership opportunities for students at all levels. They include:
- Student Executive – senior student leaders meet regularly to discuss and plan events to contribute to the life of the school. This group is led by the Head Girl.
- School Council – form class and year level representatives attend regular meetings to discuss important issues which are important to students. This group is led by the Head of the Student Council.
- Health and Environment Council – students who are passionate about our school environment and wider health and environmental issues.
- House Leaders – Year 10, 12 and 13 House leaders help run the many inter House competitions throughout the year.
- Kapa Haka – The Mana Kotiro appointed every year leads the Kapa Haka, which continues to grow in size and strength. Students meet every Friday to practise. Students take part each year in the regional Nga Manu Korero speech competition and regularly perform at school events and ceremonies.
- Librarians – our student librarians help out in the Library during lunchtimes and organise book weeks, book clubs and other fun activities based in the library.
- Pasifika Culture Group – our Pasifika students take part in the Pasifika Festival every year and meet regularly to perform. They contribute great energy, life and pride for their cultures to the Avonside Girls’ High School community.
- SADD – Students Against Driving Drunk. Social Council – a Year 13 committee which organises the school formal.
- Sports Council – a committee of committed athletes who organise and support numerous sporting and fun activities throughout the school year.
- Zonta Club – a community support group which is part of the regional and national Zonta organisation.